Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A digger, a dumper and a convertible

So I've been chugging right along with these tiny vehicles, houses, treees, etc. thinking I was making great progress on my son's quilt. I then made the mistake of estimating how many blocks I'll need for a twin sized quilt: 35. That means I still have 16 to make, and that's if I include all the ones I've made so far. I was hoping to have the luxury of relegating a few odd balls to the back of the quilt. Sigh. More construction vehicle inspiration may be needed.

6 comments:

tracy_a said...

I love all these blocks, and I can't wait to see the next 16! How about a road grader and/or roller? I know these are not construction vehicles but: fire trucks/ambulances/police cars? Garbage/recycling trucks? Trains? (Or are these too far off track?)

L said...

i am planning on making 35 12inch blocks for my son's vehicle quilt - i have done 2, a red london bus and a hatchback car. i am going to do a couple of police cars since his daddy is a police officer!

CitricSugar said...

What about a crane? It could be two blocks high... Or a pile of iron girders? It might be fun to do some blocks as signs that might be seen near construction sites or sub in tools like a hammer or a wrench somewhere...

The digger is just fantastic. I hope you're documenting these blocks well - you could sell the pattern when you're done!

Kris said...

I love the digger! I love citricsugar's ideas! You could also have a couple plain solid white blocks to break it up and not have to sew as many.

teaginny said...

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! You've given me a little push to keep going.

roseisred said...

i love all of these! what about a few "roads" - just black squares or rectangles with double yellow lines (or dotted yellow lines)?