Wednesday, October 19, 2011

An Homage

This doll quilt is an homage to Lauren of Aunt June fame.  Or rather, to my favorite quilt of hers
My towerall is much smaller, but otherwise a shameless copy of the original.  I had permission though.  Lauren was kind enough to show me how to create the towerall from strips in one of her Improv Studio classes at Harper's (if you're local to KC, you should try to catch one of these - a new improv technique each month).
I did some heavy quilting on this, and boy did it distort the top.  It seems spray baste is no match for this kind of texture.  I had to trim it a ton to square it up in the end.  Maybe I should have pinned it a bunch too. 
I  backed it with a vintage sheet, 'cause that's how Aunt June rolls. This one is staying with me!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Very cute! The quilting is really cool....I'll have to try that!

felicity said...

This looks fab. The retrimming was worth it - the texture that the quilting adds is simply marvelous.

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Wow- so fabulous! Just L.O.V.E. love it.

**nicke... said...

that quilting is out of this world! i am with jen... i L.O.V.E. it!

Mary Anne said...

It is gorgeous! Aunt June is so nice to share!

Flaun of I Plead Quilty! said...

So beautiful. I love the texture from the piece-warping quilting.

Sharon said...

Super cute! It matches your logo.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you get to keep this one, it's fabulous!

Julia Day said...

You did Great!! I love the blue colors!

Rebecca said...

this is one of my favorite quilts too. very nice to let you make one for yourself! :o) i love your quilting; it looks beautiful!