Monday, December 30, 2013

Paper Boat Baby Quilt

I have made several versions of my paper boat quilt: a mini quilt, a baby quilt with improvisation and reverse applique, and even a standardized mini one for a pattern.  Each quilt features the same basic paper pieced block, just in different sizes.  I have had several requests to make the pattern in a baby quilt size, so when a nice client on etsy asked me to make a custom baby-sized version, I decided to do both at once.
I worried a baby-sized version might seem too minimal, but I think the solitude of the boat on the ocean is peaceful.  The quilting also adds a lot to the negative space.  I hope the quilt will be just the right touch for her nursery.
 
The new, updated pattern includes both the previous mini quilt instructions and paper pieced templates, as well as the instructions to make this 38" x 46" quilt and the templates for its 6" x 9" paper boat block.  I recommend the pattern for those with a basic knowledge of paper piecing.  There are some great tutorials online on paper piecing (also, all patterns with paper piecing by Empty Bobbin Sewing include such instructions, including my pattern Busy City - end of self promotion). The paper pieced templates go together with a gentle y seam, but trust me, it's easy.
 
You can find the new pattern in my etsy shop, and it is available for instant download.  How great is that? As always, I would love to see what you make. You can email me, tag me on instagram (@teaginny) or add your pictures to my flickr group.
Back soon with a year end wrap up.

8 comments:

Scrapatches said...

Lovely serene baby quilt!

Anonymous said...

Very cute!

Debbie said...

I loved the mini but this is just as special - wise girl.

melissa said...

This is so lovely!

Paige said...

I really love this! What a simple but effective design!

Dresden Lane said...

This is so adorable and the quilting is impeccable - lucky baby.

Michelle said...

Oh, that is so pretty! I don't know what it is about paper boats and airplanes, but I just love 'em.

KristinHoltPhotography said...

Beautiful! I love the origami and long arm work!
Pinned!
K-