Monday, September 8, 2014

Improv Wonky Cross Quilt

This 40 x 50 baby quilt is the product of my blocks from guild friends in the Whatever Bee.  I made a practice wonky cross version (a maquette, if you will) a few months ago which helped me to identify the features I liked in this sort of a slice and insert block.  Like the practice quilt, I kept the blocks the same height but varied the widths.  I also added a few half blocks and stacked them in pairs, just for fun (hint: this is a great fix for a block that may end up being slightly too small).  Improv quilting is awesome like that. Here a fun tutorial by a guild member Carla on how to make this type of block, two at a time.
This type of improv block is perfect for a bee.  It gives the quilters specific instructions while allowing them some flexibility to experiment.  My friends were all kind enough to make me two blocks, so I had some extra to use on the back of the quilt.
I am donating this quilt to one of our guild's community service projects, Birthday Blessings, a local charity.  I am also submitting it to 100 Quilts For Kids.  This annual quilt drive is great because it allows you to donate locally to a children's charity of your choosing.  Just add a link to an online photo of your quilt, and you can participate.  There are prizes!  The link is open through the end of the month, so you still have time.  The post even includes ideas for simple quilts to make.
Thanks so all my friends who contributed blocks!  I know this is going to be well used by some little guy in our community.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks fun and cute. I can imagine that it would be hard to make a mistake with this kind of block and quilt.

Kristy said...

I love wonky cross blocks, they are perfect for everything. The colors look fantastic in yours.

Unknown said...

Love this - especially the colours! Perfect!

Carla said...

This turned out so great, Alex. I especially like the colors. It was great of you to mention my tute as well.